Graduate Medical Education (GME) and Clinical Clerkships
- No clerkships are scheduled during the month of December.
- Clinical clerkship programs at Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC) are offered to:
- Military medical officers in the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) and the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS), and
- Medical (civilian) students from accredited medical schools and schools of osteopathic medicine in the United States and Puerto Rico.
- Clerkships will be available between November and May of each year (excluding December).
- Are limited to a total of twelve weeks of training at TAMC.
- Those desiring to rotate at TAMC must ensure that their school has a Memorandum of Agreement in force between their school and TAMC. Without this agreement student are not authorized to rotate until an agreement is in effect.
- United States Army policy does not permit us to accept any student from an international medical school even if the student is a United States citizen..
- Foreign students (non-US Citizens) attending medical schools in the United States who require access to the hospital's information systems network can expect at least a four-month delay in getting access due to required security background checks. The vast majority of clerkships offered at Tripler require students to obtain network access, therefore, please plan accordingly.
- Inprocessing for all students is on Monday at 0700 (7:00 A.M.). If Monday falls on a Federal holiday then inprocessing will take place on Tuesday. The TAMC Student Coordinator is located on the 9th Floor, A-Wing, Room 9A 008A and will explain the inprocessing procedures to you. Exceptions to this policy will be coordinated with the Student Coordinator in advance.
- Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) – Army
- HPSP students cannot request a clerkship that crosses the end of one fiscal year (September) and the start of the next fiscal year (October).
- All clerkships must be completed before 30 September and cannot start again until 15 October.
- If you are unsure of your eligibility to do a clerkship, contact HPSP headquarters at 1-877-633-2769.
- In addition, please be aware that the number of ADT and NADT tours that may be performed at TAMC is limited to one each. Army requirement: The number of ADT and NADT tours that may be performed at TAMC is limited to one each.
- Students will be required to take a diagnostic physical training test upon arrival. If you have completed this training in the last six (6) months, please bring proof of completion with you.
- Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) – Air Force and Navy
- Cannot apply for ADT at TAMC.
- Follow the same requirements as those for civilian students applying for a clerkship.
- Cannot use military Common Access Card while in a civilian status.
Contact Information and Location
- Medical Student Coordinator: (808) 433-6992, Room 9A 008A
- Transitional-Year Coordinator: (808) 433-2474, Room 9A 010
- Lead GME Coordinator: (808) 433-6982, Room 9A 006
- Continuing Medical Education: (808) 433-4710, Room 9A 002
- Chief: (808) 433-2457, Room 9A 004
- Fax: (808) 433-1559
- Email: email@example.com
Department of the Army
1 Jarrett White Road
Tripler AMC, HI 96859-5000
Verification of training: Requests for physician verification of internship, residency and/or fellowship may be e-mailed, faxed or mailed to the address listed above, and addressed to appropriate coordinator.
- Transitional Coordinator for transitional-year internship verification.
- Lead GME Coordinator for all other verifications of internship, residency and/or fellowship.
Clinical Clerkship Information and Instructions.
- Introduction to Clinical Clerkships and List of Clerkships Available (application located on specialty page)
- When Clinical Clerkship is Approved
- Occupational Health Requirements
- Standards of Conduct
- TAMC Medical library
- Directions Tripler, parking and GME Office
- Information for USUHS and HPSP students
- Lodging Information
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Family Medicine
- General Surgery
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Orthopaedic Surgery