(Includes Cardiology Outpatient Clinic and Cardiology Inpatient Consult Service)
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF EDUCATIONAL ROTATION.
- Become familiar with all major aspects of cardiovascular disease consisting of epidemiology, prevention, pathophysiology, and evaluation and treatment strategies.
- Become familiar with the physical examination of the cardiovascular system.
- Become familiar with the pharmacologic agents critical to treatment of cardiovascular disease.
- Acquire improved skills in electrocardiogram interpretation.
- Gain exposure to cardiovascular imaging techniques and procedures.
- The following aspects of cardiovascular disease will be emphasized:
- Acute and chronic coronary artery disease.
- Valvular heart disease.
- Systolic and diastolic dysfunction.
- Electrocardiogram interpretation.
- GXT performance and interpretation.
- Primary and secondary prevention strategies.
FREQUENCY OF CALL. No call for medical students rotating on this service.
- Case-based, focused reading in an effort to stimulate the daily practice of evidence-based medicine will be emphasized rather than adhering to a mandatory cardiology text.
- The American College of Cardiology website – www.cardiosource.org will be used for guidelines and appropriate use criteria.
- Specific, case-based reading of standard cardiology texts will be encouraged on an individual basis.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS. Each student is expected to attend:
- Department of Medicine Morning Report.
- Department of Medicine Noon conference.
- Weekly Cath Conference.
- Weekly Cardiology didactic sessions
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED?
- Students will be constantly evaluated throughout the rotation and feedback will be provided on a dynamic basis.
- A post-test will be administered during the last week of the rotation.
- There will be formal evaluations at mid-month and end-of-month. This evaluation will reflect not only his/her fund of knowledge, ability to gather and synthesize information, but also his/her motivation, work habits, and interpersonal skills.
APPLY FOR EDUCATIONAL ROTATION