CHILD AND ADOLESCENT PSYCHIATRY
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF EDUCATIONAL ROTATION.
- Outpatient clinic offering services to all children from infancy to late adolescence.
- Services include: acute and routine psychiatric assessment, multidisciplinary assessment for child <5 years, individual, family and group psychotherapy and psychopharmacology, acute intervention, and consultation-liaison work.
- Multidisciplinary team includes psychologist, social workers and psychiatrists.
- Objectives include the following:
- Develop a fund of knowledge that will provide students with the tools necessary to detect and manage common childhood disorders.
- Mastery of broad areas of skills include interviewing techniques, history-taking and mental status examination of psychiatric symptoms and signs; development of psychiatric differential diagnoses and a biopsychosocial formulation of childs’ psychiatric illness; and formulation of psychiatric treatment options, including pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy.
- The fund of knowledge students must acquire includes the epidemiology, phenomenology, pathophysiology, treatment, and course of psychiatric disorders.
FREQUENCY OF CALL.
- Student will be on call with the chief fellow during duty hours for emergency evaluations.
- Overnight call may be pursued by the student, but is not required.
- Weekends will generally be free of obligation.
- Each student will participate in introductory seminars and will be responsible for all readings associated with these.
- Additional readings have been selected and will be reviewed and discussed with a faculty member.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS. Each student will be observed by a staff member or fellow conducting an evaluation of a child or adolescent.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED?
- The student's evaluation will be based on performance on both inpatient and outpatient experiences.
- This evaluation will reflect not only his/her fund of knowledge, ability to gather and synthesize information, but also his/her motivation, work habits, and interpersonal skills.
APPLY FOR EDUCATIONAL ROTATION