When Clinical Clerkship is Approved --
As soon as you have been approved for a rotation at TAMC, please take care of the following MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS prior to reporting to TAMC. You will not be allowed to participate in a clerkship if a requirement is not met.
Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPPA).
- Civilian and Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) students need to provide documentation of current training.
- If you have received HIPPA training at your school please have your school provide such documentation of current training.
- You can also complete HIPPA training at the Military Health System (MHS) Learn site (https://mhslearn.csd.disa.mil) without a Department of Defense (DoD) Common Access Card (CAC), and perform the following steps:
- Open MHS Learn link.
- Click the MHS Staff Training link on the top left-hand side MHS Learn Home page.
- Click the Login link under the MHS Learn Login section on the right-hand side of the MHS Staff Training page.
- Click OK for the Mandatory DoD notice and Privacy Act Warning.
- Click the 'If you don't have a DoD CAV or VA PIV, click here' link below the green CAC/PIV ACCESS button on the CAC login page.
- Log in to MHS Learn using the standard username and password format (i.e., FName.LName.Last4SSN).
- Users will be presented with a notification that MHS Learn is changing the username requirements from the existing Fname.Lname.last4ssn format to an email address format and that their .mil email should be used if available.
- Click the Select Next arrow on the next page to accept the username format change.
- A new window will open that provides a disclaimer about the user's CAC account information.
- Upon completion, print out training certificate and bring this with you.
NOTE: Be sure to ONLY use your valid email address.
NOTE: Even though the user has logged in to MHS Learn without a CAC, he or she will still receive this message.
Occupational Health Requirements
- All military and civilian students must meet Tripler's health requirements which can be found at http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/gme/clerkship/occupational_health_req.htm. Please bring a copy of your immunization records with you as well.
- Your immunization records will be reviewed by Occupational Health during inprocessing.
Basic Life Support (BLS) card
- All military and civilian students must ensure certification of BLS is current and that you bring a copy of such when inprocessing.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) card is not acceptable. MUST HAVE BLS CARD.
- If your clerkship (applies to all military and civilian students) requires you to have access to the TAMC intranet and its medical information systems and electronic medical records then you will need to complete the online CyberAwareness training.
- HPSP and USUHS students:
- Go to https://ia.gordon.army.mil/dodiaa/default.asp to complete the required training.
- Follow the directions on the website.
- Important! Read the Army Addendum because there will be questions on the exam related to the information it contains.
- After you have read the Army Addendum, click on the Login Page link and sign in with your AKO user name and password to take the DoD Information Assurance Awareness Exam. Print your certificate in landscape and bring this with you!
- Civilian students (need to check with service to see if you need computer access, if not do not need to complete this training):
- Go to http://iase.disa.mil/eta/index.html#onlinetraining to complete the required IA training.
- Click on the link for CyberAwareness Challege (for DoD and Federal Personnel).
- Follow the directions on the website.
- Print your certificate in landscape and bring this with you!
- Civilian students who need network access will need to complete the following in addition to the CyberAwareness training prior to your arrival.
- Standard Form (SF) 85P, Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF85P.pdf).
- Get a Sponsored/Guest AKO (Army Knowledge Online) account. It is the responsibility of the department/service to sponsor a student for an AKO account.
- Information and instructions for applying for an AKO account is listed below.
- Go to https://www.us.army.mil.
- Click on the 'I Accept' button after reading the agreement.
- Click on 'Register without a CAC'.
- Enter your Social Security Number and click the 'Next' button.
- Select an Account Type from the list of options and click 'Next' (Unless you are found in a database. Based on the database, different fields will auto fill, and this may change the order of the steps.)
- Enter the User ID of your sponsor (Example: john.p.doe) and click 'Next'. A guest must enter the AKO/DKO username of his or her sponsor to request an AKO/DKO account.
- Enter your complete contact details and click 'Next'.
- Double check your entries; this must match your exact legal name.
- Enter an external email address (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) and click 'Next'.
- Enter the contact details for your organization and click 'Next'.
- Enter a password of your choosing into both password fields.
- Your password must adhere to the guidelines listed at the top of the page.
- Choose three (3) security questions and provide answers and click 'Complete registration'.
- Your security questions are very important. You will need to remember these answers and when performing a password reset, you will need to enter them exactly as you do when setting them up, including capitalization and punctuation.
- Print the confirmation screen for your records.
- Your registration is now complete and your account will be active once it is approved by your sponsor.
- For further assistance with activating your account, contact your sponsor.
- Foreign students (non-US citizens) attending medical schools in the United States who require access to the hospital's information systems network can expect at least a four-month delay in getting access due to required security background checks. The vast majority of clerkships offered at Tripler require students to obtain network access, therefore, please plan accordingly.
Please make sure that you have completed the mandatory requirements above prior to your arrival. Any incomplete requirement may delay the start of your clerkship, which may not sit well with your evaluator(s). You may also be required to complete additional training modules related to computer and information security upon arrival. However, these additional modules can be completed relatively quickly.