When Clinical Clerkship is Approved
As soon as you have been approved for a rotation at TAMC, please take care of the following MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS prior to reporting to TAMC. Trainees will not be allowed to participate in a rotation if a requirement is not met.
- Complete the Military Health System (MHS) Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) training at https://mhslearn.csd.disa.mil. Upon completion, print out training certificate and bring this with you.
- If you have received training at your school please have your school provide verification of current training.
- To log in to MHS Learn without a Department of Defense (DoD) Common Access Card (CAC), perform the following steps:
- Open MHS Learn link.
- Click the MHS Staff Training link on the top left-hand side MHS Learn Home page.
- Click the Login link under the MHS Learn Login section on the right-hand side of the MHS Staff Training page.
- Click OK for the Mandatory DoD notice and Privacy Act Warning.
- Click the 'If you don't have a DoD CAV or VA PIV, click here' link below the green CAC/PIV ACCESS button on the CAC login page.
- Log in to MHS Learn using the standard username and password format (i.e., FName.LName.Last4SSN).
- Users will be presented with a notification that MHS Learn is changing the username requirements from the existing Fname.Lname.last4ssn format to an email address format and that their .mil email should be used if available.
- Click the Select Next arrow on the next page to accept the username format change.
- A new window will open that provides a disclaimer about the user's CAC
NOTE: Be sure to ONLY use your valid email address.
NOTE: Even though the user has logged in to MHS Learn without a CAC, he or she will still receive this message.
- Make sure that you have met Tripler's health requirements and that you bring a copy of your immunization records with you. Your immunization records/health records documents will be reviewed by the TAMC Occupational Health Clinic during inprocessing.
- Ensure certification of Basic Life Support (BLS) is current. Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) card is not acceptable. MUST HAVE BLS CARD.
- If your rotation requires you to have access to the Tripler Army Medical Center intranet and its medical information systems and electronic medical records then you will need to complete the online CyberAwareness training. Upon completion, print out training certificate and bring this with you.
- HPSP and USUHS students:
- Go to https://ia.gordon.army.mil/dodiaa/default.asp to complete the required training.
- Follow the directions on the website.
- Important! Read the Army Addendum because there will be questions on the exam related to the information it contains.
- After you have read the Army Addendum, click on the Login Page link and sign in with your AKO user name and password to take the DoD Information Assurance Awareness Exam. Print your certificate in landscape!
- All other students:
- Go to http://iase.disa.mil/eta/index.html#onlinetraining to complete the required IA training.
- Click on the link for CyberAwareness Challege (for DoD and Federal Personnel).
- Follow the directions on the website.
- Print your certificate in landscape!
- If you do not complete the required training you will be required to complete the training at Tripler upon your arrival. This may delay the start of your training, which may not sit well with your evaluator(s). You will also be required to complete additional training modules related to computer and information security upon arrival. However, these additional modules can be completed relatively quickly.
All civilian medical students requiring computer access (need to check with the service that you will be rotating on to see if you will need network access) must:
- Complete Standard Form (SF) 85P, Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions ( http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF85P.pdf).
- Get a Sponsored/Guest AKO (Army Knowledge Online) account.
- It is the responsibility of the department/service to sponsor a student for an AKO account.
- Additional information and instructions for completing this task is listed below.
- Go to https://www.us.army.mil.
- Click on the 'I Accept' button after reading the agreement.
- Click on 'Register without a CAC'.
- Enter your Social Security Number and click the 'Next' button.
- Select an Account Type from the list of options and click 'Next' (Unless you are found in a database. Based on the database, different fields will auto fill, and this may change the order of the steps.)
- Enter the User ID of your sponsor (Example: john.p.doe) and click 'Next'.
- Enter your complete contact details and click 'Next'.
- Double check your entries; this must match your exact legal name.
- Enter an external email address (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) and click 'Next'.
- Enter the contact details for your organization and click 'Next'.
- Enter a password of your choosing into both password fields.
- Your password must adhere to the guidelines listed at the top of the page.
- Choose three (3) security questions and provide answers and click 'Complete registration'.
- Your security questions are very important. You will need to remember these answers and when performing a password reset, you will need to enter them exactly as you do when setting them up, including capitalization and punctuation.
- Print the confirmation screen for your records. Your registration is now complete and your account will be active once it is approved by your sponsor. For further assistance with activating your account, contact your sponsor.
- A guest must enter the AKO/DKO username of his or her sponsor to request an AKO/DKO account. Also, all guest accounts are required to enter their SSN to register for a sponsored account.
- In addition to applying for a clerkship rotation at TAMC, you must apply for Active Duty Training (ADT) online at http://www.mods.army.mil/MedicalEducation.
- If you need advance pay, you must complete and submit the appropriate forms four weeks before departure for any ADT. This will be paid by electronic funds transfer. Further information can be obtained from Chapter 4, Active Duty for Training (ADT), of the HPSP Policy manual.