When Clinical Clerkship is Approved
As soon as you have been approved for a clerkship at Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC), please take care of the MANDATORY REQUIREMENTS listed below prior to reporting to TAMC and that you bring copies of such completion. The start of your clerkship can be delayed until all requirements have been met.
Letter of Good Standing
- Civilian and HPSP students must have a letter of good standing from there Dean of Student Affairs; mailed to the Department of the Army, ATTN: MCHK-HE-ME (Student Coordinator), CDR TAMC, 1 Jarrett White Road, Tripler AMC, Hawaii 96859-5000; or faxed to (808) 433-1559 or e-mailed to email@example.com.
Basic Life Support (BLS) card
- All students must ensure certification of BLS is current and that you bring a copy of such when inprocessing.
- Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) card is not acceptable. MUST HAVE BLS CARD.
Occupational Health Requirements
- All students must meet Tripler's health requirements which can be found at http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/gme/clerkship/occupational_health_req.htm.
- Please bring a copy of your immunization records with you as well. Your immunization records will be reviewed by Occupational Health during inprocessing.
- Please advise school not to send immunizations records to Student Coordinator, due to HIPPA requirements. The Student Coordinator is not a health person.
Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPPA)
Civilian and Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) students need to provide documentation of current training.
- If you have received HIPPA training at your school please have your school provide such documentation of current training and bring with you.
- You can also complete HIPPA training at the Military Health System (MHS) Learn site (https://mhslearn.csd.disa.mil) without a Department of Defense (DoD) Common Access Card (CAC), and perform the following steps:
- Open MHS Learn link.
- Click the MHS Staff Training link on the top left-hand side MHS Learn Home page.
- Click the Login link under the MHS Learn Login section on the right-hand side of the MHS Staff Training page.
- Click OK for the Mandatory DoD notice and Privacy Act Warning.
- Click the 'If you don't have a DoD CAV or VA PIV, click here' link below the green CAC/PIV ACCESS button on the CAC login page.
- Log in to MHS Learn using the standard username and password format (i.e., FName.LName.Last4SSN).
- Users will be presented with a notification that MHS Learn is changing the username requirements from the existing Fname.Lname.last4ssn format to an email address format and that their .mil email should be used if available.
- NOTE: Be sure to ONLY use your valid email address.
- Click the Select Next arrow on the next page to accept the username format change.
- A new window will open that provides a disclaimer about the user's CAC account information.
- Upon completion, print out training certificate and bring this with you.
Network/Computer Access (if applicable)
If your clerkship requires you to have access to the TAMC intranet and its medical information systems and electronic medical records (majority of the clerkships do require you to have access) then you will need to complete and bring the following with you when you inprocess:
- Completion of TAMC Form 835, Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) at http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/information/mchk-im/docs/TAMC_Form_835_2Pages.pdf.
- Completion of IA/Cyber training at https://ia.signal.army.mil/dodiaa/default.asp. Click on "Login to take the DoD Cyber Awareness Challenge Training". NOTE: IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED THIS TRAINING WITHIN THE LAST YEAR YOU DO NOT NEED TO RETAKE. BRING PROOF OF TRAINING COMPLETION.
- If you have a CAC (Common Access Card):
- Click on the link "Log in with CAC DoD-Approved Certificate Login" and follow the directions on the website and complete the training and take the examination and print out the examination certificate in landscape showing you have successfully completed the Annual DoD Cyber Awareness Challenge Exam.
- Important! Read the Army Addendum because there will be questions on the exam related to the information it contains.
- After you have read the Army Addendum, click on the Login Page link and sign in with your AKO user name and password to take the DoD Information Assurance Awareness Exam.
- Print your certificate and bring this with you!
- If you do not have a CAC card. Click on the link "NON CAC Login". There are two parts to this training. Part 1 is the creation of an account and taking the training, and Part 2, getting credit for IA/Cyber Training (examination).
- Part 1 – Account Creation. Click on "Create new account" and complete the NON CAC Account Registration and follow the directions on the website and filling in all areas that have been identified by a check mark.
- User Name; Password; Confirm Password; First Name; Last Name; and Email Address are self-explanatory.
- For Organization enter "Tripler".
- For Branch of Service select "Army".
- For Employee Type select "Civilian".
- For MAJCOM select "Medical Command (MEDCOM)".
- For Unit/Business Address enter "1 Jarrett White Road".
- For Installation or City enter "Tripler AMC".
- For State, Zip and Country enter "Tripler AMC; 96859 and United States".
- Commercial Phone enter "a valid phone number for you".
- Click on the "Submit" button. If you have errors in your application you will be notified of such. If you have no errors and page indicates that "Your application has been entered into our records" and click on "Go to Login page" it will take you back to the page where you created your account.
- Enter your Username and Password that you created and click on "Login".
- On the next page click on the "DOD Cyber Awareness Challenge" link under the USER PORTAL MENU.
- On the next page under Department of Defense Employees click on the link "Launch New CyberAwareness Challenge Department of Defense Version".
- Complete the training. This training should take about 30-45 minutes to complete.
- Upon completion of training print your certificate in landscape and bring this with you.
- Part 2 – Examination.
- Return back to the main page and click on "Login to take the DoD Cyber Awareness Challenge Training".
- Click on the link "NON CAC Login".
- Login with your "Username" and "Password".
- On next page under "USER PORTAL MENU" click on "Take Exam".
- On the next page click on "go" next to "Annual DoD Cyber Awareness Challenge Exam."
- On the next page click on the "Start Test" button to take the examination. You need a passing grade of 70.
- Print out certificate showing you have successfully completed the NON CAC examination and bring this with you.
Civilian students who need network/computer access will need to complete the following in addition to the IA/Cyber training prior to arrival.
- Standard Form (SF) 85P, Questionnaire for Public Trust Positions (http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF85P.pdf).
- Get a Sponsored/Guest AKO (Army Knowledge Online) account. It is the responsibility of the department/service to sponsor a student for an AKO account. Information and instructions for applying for an AKO account is listed below.
- Go to https://www.us.army.mil.
- Click on the 'I Accept' button after reading the agreement.
- Click on 'Register without a CAC'.
- Enter your Social Security Number and click the 'Next' button.
- Select an Account Type from the list of options and click 'Next' (Unless you are found in a database. Based on the database, different fields will auto fill, and this may change the order of the steps.)
- Enter the User ID of your sponsor (Example: john.p.doe) and click 'Next'. A guest must enter the AKO/DKO username of his or her sponsor to request an AKO/DKO account.
- Enter your complete contact details and click 'Next'.
- Double check your entries; this must match your exact legal name.
- Enter an external email address (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) and click 'Next'.
- Enter the contact details for your organization and click 'Next'.
- Enter a password of your choosing into both password fields.
- Your password must adhere to the guidelines listed at the top of the page.
- Choose three (3) security questions and provide answers and click 'Complete registration'.
- Your security questions are very important. You will need to remember these answers and when performing a password reset, you will need to enter them exactly as you do when setting them up, including capitalization and punctuation.
- Print the confirmation screen for your records.
- Your registration is now complete and your account will be active once it is approved by your sponsor.
- For further assistance with activating your account, contact your sponsor.
Foreign students (non-US citizens) attending medical schools in the United States who require access to the hospital's information systems network can expect at least a four-month delay in getting access due to required security background checks. The vast majority of clerkships offered at Tripler require students to obtain network access, therefore, please plan accordingly.
Please make sure that you have completed the mandatory requirements above prior to your arrival. Any incomplete requirement may delay the start of your clerkship, which may not sit well with your evaluator(s). You may also be required to complete additional training modules related to computer and information security upon arrival. However, these additional modules can be completed relatively quickly.