When Clinical Clerkship is Approved
- As soon as you have been approved for a clerkship at Tripler Army Medical Center (TAMC), please take care of the Mandatory Requirements listed below (if applicable) prior to reporting to TAMC.
- Hand carry all information described below with you when you inprocess, with the exception of the Letter of Good Standing, which should be sent from the school.
- Any incomplete requirement may delay the start of your clerkship.
- You may also be required to complete additional training modules related to computer and information security upon arrival. However, these additional modules can be completed relatively quickly.
- Letter of Good Standing
- Civilian and HPSP students must provide a letter of good standing from their Office of Student Affairs, e.g.
- Letter should include the following as a minimum.
- That student is covered by professional liability.
- Indicate that student is also covered by personal health insurance.
- Student has completed mandatory school HIPAA certification.
- Student has had a criminal background check.
- Should be either mailed to the Department of the Army, ATTN: MCHK-HE-ME (Student Coordinator), CDR TAMC, 1 Jarrett White Road, Tripler AMC, Hawaii 96859-5000; or faxed to (808) 433-1559 or e-mailed to email@example.com.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) card
- All students must possess a current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) card, per Army Regulation 40-68, Clinical Quality Management.
- BLS card must be valid for your entire clerkship. If card is to expire during your clerkship, please ensure that it is renewed prior to your arrival at this site.
- No other advanced life support training will be accepted in place of BLS.
- Occupational Health Requirements
- All students must meet Tripler's health requirements which can be found at http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/gme/clerkship/occupational_health_req.htm.
- Please make sure that you hand carry your immunization records with you and they are available when you meet with Occupational Health personnel.
- Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Civilian and HPSP students, please have your school indicate that you are current in HIPAA in your letter of good standing, therefore eliminating the need to take the online training. If letter does not contain information, then you will need to provide proof of HIPAA training.
- USUHS students please make sure bring current certificate of HIPAA training.
- Network/Computer Access
- If your clerkship requires you to have access to the TAMC intranet and its medical information systems and electronic medical records (majority of the clerkships do require you to have access) then you will need to complete the following prior to your arrival, if applicable.
- Get a Sponsored/Guest AKO (Army Knowledge Online) account. It is the responsibility of the department/service that you will be rotating with to sponsor you for an AKO account, be sure to contact them if you do not have an AKO account.
- Finger printing (civilian students). If you have already been finger printed then you do not need to do again.
- Completion of TAMC Form 835, Acceptable Use Policy (AUP).
- Completion of IA/Cyber training. Note: If you have completed this training within the last year, you do not need to retake. Bring proof of training completion.
Foreign students (non-US citizens)
Foreign students attending medical schools in the United States who require access to the hospital's information systems network can expect at least a four-month delay in getting access due to required security background checks, therefore, please plan accordingly.