MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS ROTATING ON SERVICE AT ONCE. Two (2).
LENGTH OF ROTATIONS. Four (4) weeks.
WILL TAKE STUDENTS FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY? Yes.
LEVEL OF STUDENTS ACCEPTED Last half of third year or first half of fourth year.
TIME OF YEAR OFFERRED. Flexible start dates throughout the year, excluding December.
PRIOR APPROVAL (FROM DEPARTMENT REQUIRED) AND ELIGIBILITY.
- Offered primarily to medical students with an Army obligation (HPSP and USUHS).
- Students from other uniformed services and civilian students from mainland schools are welcome on a space-available basis from November to May (excluding December).
- All students (except USUHS (second and third years) and University of Hawai'i) will apply using the Clerkship Application form.
- The Student Coordinator will obtain permission from the appropriate clerkship official upon receipt of the application/form and will then inform the student of approval/disapproval via e-mail.
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF CLERKSHIP. Inpatient and outpatient care of simple and complex gastroenterology patients.
FREQUENCY OF CALL. No call for medical students rotating on this service.
REQUIRED READINGS. Selected articles and assignments will be provided to each student as needed.
- Each student is expected to attend all Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology conferences, to include morning report, noon lectures, after-clinic rounds, and Journal Club.
- Throughout the rotation there will be several 5-10 minutes presentations each student will give on various topics.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED?
- The student’s evaluation will be based on performance of both inpatient and outpatient experiences as well as their short presentations.
- This evaluation will reflect not only his/her fund of knowledge, ability to gather and synthesize information, but also his/her motivation, work habits, and interpersonal skills.