Information for HPSP and USUHS Students
Students (2nd and 3rd years only) from the Uniformed Services University for the Health Sciences (USUHS) are required to stay in contracted lodging as directed by USUHS. The Tripler IHG Army Hotel on the Tripler Army Medical Center campus is the current temporary lodging location for USUHS students.
Government quarters are not available for military students on orders to Tripler Army Medical Center. The Tripler IHG Army Hotel is privatized and is not considered government quarters. Government mess is also not considered available at Tripler. Military students with official orders are not required to stay at the Tripler IHG Army Hotel nor are they required to contact the Tripler IHG Army Hotel or the Inn at Schofield Barracks before making alternative arrangements for lodging. Students are not required to stay at another military lodging facility on island even if it has rooms available. Not all students decide to stay in a hotel. Some rent condominiums while they are here. Others have spent some their time in a beach cottage at one of the military recreational facilities or some other vacation rental.
- The following on-post facility is located on Tripler Army Medical Center.
- The following hotels are located in relatively close proximity to Tripler near the airport and away from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki. Consequently, you may reduce the time that you spend commuting to and from the hospital. This does not constitute or endorsement of these facilities.
- You are responsible for making your own lodging (see Section B for a partial list of Hotels on Oahu) and transportation arrangements. Please bear in mind that you will be required to pay for your lodging and rental car in advance of your travel settlement. So you need to ensure that you have a sufficient balance of funds or line of credit available prior to your departure for Tripler.
- You should verify that the room rate you are being charged does not exceed the maximum daily lodging rate you are entitled to. Otherwise, you will have to make up the difference out of your own pocket.
- Reason: Most hotels on island limit the number of rooms that they offer for the Government lodging rate and will charge more when they run out of these rooms. A hotel once charged a military medical student who was here on temporary duty (TDY) more than $200 a night even though the hotel was on the Housing Office’s approved list of hotels that incoming Soldiers are referred to when military lodging is not available. The student failed to verify the rate and ended up paying significant funds out of pocket be-cause the daily TDY entitlement for lodging was only $149 at the time.
- Have a credit card ready when you book your reservation, otherwise it may not be accepted. And don’t forget to find out what the hotel’s cancellation policy is so that you don’t lose your deposit if you decide to stay elsewhere.
- Per diem rates for the island of Oahu are available online via the Defense Travel website at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/perdiem.cfm.
Tripler IHG Army Hotel
Phone: (808) 839-2336
Fax: (808) 433-6905
Navy Lodge Hawaii (Ford Island, Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam)
Phone: (808) 440-2290
Fax: (808) 455-7480
Best Western The Plaza Hotel
3253 N. Nimitz Highway
Phone: (808) 836-3636
Fax: (808) 834-7406
Airport Honolulu Hotel
3401 N. Nimitz Highway
Phone: (808) 836-0661
Fax: (808) 833-1738
- Contact the TAMC Medical Education Office immediately at (808) 433- 6992/2457 if you expect to arrive after your established reporting date.
- If you are arriving late due to a missed flight, a long delay, or other circumstances beyond your control you need to also contact the lodging facility or hotel where you booked a room and inform them of your change in arrival time.
Frequently Asked Questions.
- Question: What are my daily (per diem) entitlements?
- Response: As of December 1, 2012, the maximum daily lodging rate for Oahu is $177. The daily rate for meals is $101 and the rate for daily incidentals is $25.
- Question: Are hotel taxes included in the daily lodging rate that I am entitled to?
- Response: No, hotel taxes should be claimed as separate expenses when you file your travel voucher. All taxes should be documented on your lodging receipt.
- Question: Am I entitled to be reimbursed for internet access charges during my hotel stay?
- Response: Not usually. Authorization for these expenses would have to be specified on your orders. Most of the lodging facilities on military installations (Tripler IHG Army Hotel, Navy Lodge Hawaii, and The Lodge at Kaneohe Bay) have free internet access.
- Question: Am I entitled to be reimbursed for laundry/dry cleaning expenses during my ADT?
- Response: No. Unlike CONUS locations, you are not entitled to be reimbursed $2 per day for laundry/dry cleaning expenses because Hawaii is an OCONUS duty assignment. The cost incurred during TDY travel for personal laundry/dry-cleaning and pressing of clothing is not a miscellaneous reimbursable expense for OCONUS travel and is part of the incidental expense (IE) allowance included within the per diem rates approved for OCONUS travel.
- The TAMC Medical Education Office will request an authorization for a rental car from the central HPSP Office on the student’s behalf.
- Rental car reimbursement will generally not exceed $45.00 per day and only compact size automobiles are authorized.
- You may book a rental car reservation from the same Carlson-Wagonlit travel office that you book your airline reservations with. The advantage of doing so is that car rental reservations booked through Carlson-Wagonlit include insurance coverage. You will not be reimbursed for insurance otherwise.
- Question: Am I entitled to be reimbursed for parking fees if I am authorized a rental car because I have to stay off-post?
- Response: Yes. You need to itemize parking separately on your travel voucher. Please remember that receipts are required for all expenses. You may put the total (cumulative) expense on your travel voucher if you have an appropriate receipt. Otherwise, you would have to list each daily charge for parking separately on your travel voucher.
- Question: Am I entitled to be reimbursed for gas if I am authorized a rental car because I have to stay off-post?
- Response: Yes. You need to itemize gas separately on your travel voucher. Please remember that receipts are required for any expenses of $75 or more. We suggest that you include copies of your gas receipts, even if they are under $75 per fill-up because the travel approving official has the authority to request a copy of a receipt for any claimed expense, regardless of the amount. You may put the total (cumulative) expense on your travel voucher as long as you have the appropriate receipts.
Cash Advances for Travel.
- Expenses can add up really fast and credit card limits stretched so students should consider requesting cash advances prior to their travel.
- The following is from Chapter 4, Active Duty for Training (ADT), of the HPSP Policy Manual:
- "Cash advances must be requested at least 4 weeks before departure for any ADT and are also paid by electronic funds transfer (EFT). The request should include: a copy of the ADT order; a voided check; and an explanation of why advanced pay is needed. Students may receive an electronic deposit cash advance by contacting: DFAS-IN (DNG), DEFT 3700, 8899 East 56th Street, Indianapolis, IN, 46249-3714, phone 1-888- 332-7366. Students may also Fax the request to (317) 275-0330. If the EFT is not credited to the student account at least 4 days prior to the report date, contact the DFAS center. Since any advance is later collected during settlement, it is important to understand the amount of cash received and requirement to repay any overpayment. Retain a copy of all vouchers, as it is required for reimbursement of ADT expenses.”
HPSP students not on orders.
- The government will not reimburse students for expenses if they are not on official orders.
- HPSP students who are not on active duty orders at the time they rotate at TAMC may be able to secure housing at Tripler IHG Army Hotel on a space available basis.