DEPARTMENT OF BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
PSYCHIATRY ADULT SPECIALTY SERVICES
INPATIENT PSYCHIATRY CLERKSHIP
MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS ROTATING ON SERVICE AT ONCE. Two (2).
LENGTH OF ROTATIONS. Four (4) weeks to six (6) weeks.
WILL TAKE STUDENTS FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY? No, unless doing additional time on other psychiatry services or with family medicine.
LEVEL OF STUDENTS ACCEPTED Fourth year.
TIME OF YEAR OFFERRED. Flexible start dates throughout the year, excluding December.
PRIOR APPROVAL (FROM DEPARTMENT REQUIRED) AND ELIGIBILITY.
- Offered primarily to medical students with an Army obligation (HPSP and USUHS) and University of Hawai'i medical students.
- Not offered to civilian students.
- HPSP students will apply using the Clerkship Application form.
- USUHS fourth year students will apply using USUHS Form No. 1304.
- The Student Coordinator will obtain permission from the appropriate clerkship official upon receipt of the application/form and will then inform the student of approval/disapproval via e-mail.
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF CLERKSHIP.
- Wards 3B2 and 4B2 are adult inpatient psychiatric units.
- A range of services are offered on these units for inpatient psychiatry patients to include medication management, individual psychotherapy, group psychotherapy, milieu therapy, and discharge planning.
- Objectives include the following:
- Learning the use of psychotropic medications.
- Gaining comfort is applying the bio-psycho-social model to individual patients.
- Performing safety assessments and overseeing inpatient care.
FREQUENCY OF CALL.
- May do weeknight short call from 1600 to 2100 (4:00 P.M. - 9:00 P.M.) once each week.
- No overnight calls and weekends will be free of obligation.
REQUIRED READINGS. None.
- Each student is expected to attend all PGY-III lectures.
- Psychiatry grand rounds, and morning report.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED?
- The student's evaluation will be based on performance on both emergency and general adult inpatient experiences.
- This evaluation will reflect not only his/her fund of knowledge, ability to gather and synthesize information, but also his/her motivation, work habits, and interpersonal skills.