OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF EDUCATIONAL ROTATION.
- Know how to diagnose and treat glomerular disease.
- Know how to evaluate and treat acute kidney injury.
- Know how to evaluate and treat the various levels of chronic kidney disease.
- Understand the evaluation and management of hypertensions.
- Know the basic evaluation and management of electrolyte abnormalities.
- Know the basic evaluation and management of nephrolithiasis.
- Differentiate among the various causes of polyuria.
- The Nephrology rotation is composed of a good balance between inpatient and outpatient experiences.
- The Nephrology Outpatient Clinic meets formally two half-days per week.
- Inpatient consultations come from all hospital services, including the Intensive Care Units.
- During a typical rotation, students will be exposed to patients with problems encompassing the educational objectives. This allows one to read, see, and feel typical problems in Nephrology.
- A unique feature of this rotation is the specialized one-on-one attention given by the attending physician.
- The participant will also become facile with performing the urinalysis.
- The medical student is directly supervised by the attending physician.
FREQUENCY OF CALL. There are no call or weekend responsibilities.
REQUIRED READINGS. Student will be given a syllabus of recommended readings as necessary to satisfy educational objectives.
- Be present during normal duty hours, 0730 to 1530 (7:30 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.), Monday through Friday, or as determined by Chief, Nephrology Service.
- Attend Department of Medicine daily morning report, 0730 to 0800 (7:30 A.M. to 8:00 A.M.).
- Participate in Nephrology Outpatient Clinic and Inpatient Consultation service to see new and follow-up patients.
- Attend all Nephrology Conferences and Rounds.
- Review orientation to the Nephrology Service elective.
- Participate in end of service evaluation.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED?
- The medical student is evaluated through review of consultations (both oral and written).
- Participation in rounds and conferences.
- Ability to organize and present information in lecture format and written examination.
APPLY FOR EDUCATIONAL ROTATION