MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS ROTATING ON SERVICE AT ONCE. One (1).
LENGTH OF ROTATIONS. Two (2) to four (4) weeks.
WILL TAKE STUDENTS FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY? Yes.
LEVEL OF STUDENTS ACCEPTED Fourth year medical students that received a grad of "A" or "B" in both medical and surgical third year rotations.
TIME OF YEAR OFFERRED. Flexible start dates throughout the year, excluding December.
PRIOR APPROVAL (FROM DEPARTMENT REQUIRED) AND ELIGIBILITY.
- Offered primarily to medical students with an Army obligation (HPSP and USUHS).
- Not offered to civilian students.
- Students from other uniformed services are welcome on a space-available basis.
- All students will apply using the Clerkship Application form.
- The Student Coordinator will obtain permission from the appropriate clerkship official upon receipt of the application/form and will then inform the student of approval/disapproval via e-mail.
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF CLERKSHIP.
- To familiarize the student with the examination, evaluation and treatment strategies of patients with Neurosurgical diseases.
- The student will also have the opportunity to witness Neurosurgical procedures in the operating room and follow patients through their pre-operative, intra-operative and post-op courses.
FREQUENCY OF CALL. No call for medical students rotating on this service.
REQUIRED READINGS. The student will be afforded the materials on a case-by-case basis.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS. The student should arrive with a good fundamental ability to perform a detailed neurologic examination.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED? Will be done by the Chief of Neurologic Surgery based on performance.