MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS ROTATING ON SERVICE AT ONCE. One (1).
LENGTH OF ROTATIONS. Two (2) to four (4) weeks.
WILL TAKE STUDENTS FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY? Yes.
LEVEL OF STUDENTS ACCEPTED Third or fourth year.
TIME OF YEAR OFFERRED. Flexible start dates throughout the year, excluding December.
PRIOR APPROVAL (FROM DEPARTMENT REQUIRED) AND ELIGIBILITY.
- Offered primarily to medical students with an Army obligation (HPSP and USUHS)
- Students from other uniformed services and civilian students from mainland schools are welcome on a space-available basis from November to May (excluding December).
- All students (except USUHS (second and third years) and University of Hawai'i) will apply using the Clerkship Application form.
- The Student Coordinator will obtain permission from the appropriate clerkship official upon receipt of the application/form and will then inform the student of approval/disapproval via e-mail.
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF CLERKSHIP.
- The student is assigned to a staff and will see patients in conjunction with the ophthalmologist.
- As training progresses, opportunities may present for the medical student to evaluate patients on their own and present them to the staff.
- Emphasis is placed on diagnosis and treatment of common ocular conditions as well as familiarization with the basic eye examination and ophthalmic diagnostic equipment.
- Learning is primarily from observation and staff-patient-student interaction, although reading material is also available.
- Opportunities to observe surgery will also be available.
FREQUENCY OF CALL. There is no call, so evenings and weekends are free for other activities.
REQUIRED READINGS. There are no required readings, but Basic Ophthalmology for Medical Students and Primary Care Residents, published by the American Academy of Ophthalmology, is recommended.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS. None.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED? The student's evaluation will be based on performance mainly on outpatient experiences. This evaluation will reflect not only his/her fund of knowledge, ability to gather and synthesize information, but also his/her motivation, work habits, and interpersonal skills.