MAXIMUM NUMBER OF STUDENTS ROTATING ON SERVICE AT ONCE. One (1).
LENGTH OF ROTATIONS. Four (4) weeks.
WILL TAKE STUDENTS FOR TWO WEEKS ONLY? No.
LEVEL OF STUDENTS ACCEPTED Last half of third year and first half of fourth year.
TIME OF YEAR OFFERRED. Flexible start dates throughout the year, excluding December.
PRIOR APPROVAL (FROM DEPARTMENT REQUIRED) AND ELIGIBILITY.
- Offered primarily to medical students with an Army obligation (HPSP and USUHS).
- No offered to civilian students.
- All students will apply using the Clerkship Application form.
- The Student Coordinator will obtain permission from the appropriate clerkship official upon receipt of the application/form and will then inform the student of approval/disapproval via e-mail.
OBJECTIVES/DESCRIPTION OF CLERKSHIP. Focused on outpatient care of simple and complex rheumatology patients, with some inpatient consultations.
FREQUENCY OF CALL. There is no night or weekend call required during this rotation.
- Each student is expected to read during the rotation.
- A reading program will be provided to each student and a post-rotation test on this material occurs at the end of the rotation.
- Each student is expected to attend all Internal Medicine conferences, to include morning report, noon lectures, and Journal Club.
- The student will also give one 20-minute presentation on a selected topic.
HOW ARE STUDENTS EVALUATED?
- There will be a test at the end of the rotation which emphasizes the important points obtained from the readings.
- The student’s evaluation will be based on performance of both inpatient and outpatient experiences as well as the post-rotation test and lecture.
- This evaluation will reflect not only his/her fund of knowledge, ability to gather and synthesize information, but also his/her motivation, work habits, and interpersonal skills.