ACCESS TO CARE External Link, Opens in New Window

making appointments

maps + parking

requesting medical records

remote access request by providers

about TAMC

media contact

disaster preparedness (ready army)



u.s. army health clinic-schofield barracks

warrior ohana medical home

warrior transition battalion

rhc-p leaders and organization

leaders and organization


reserve affairs

troop command

training and education

gme and clerkships



referral guidelines

contact us


TAMC on Facebook TAMC Photos on Zenfolio
TAMC on Twitter TAMC Videos on Vimeo


Performance Triad 26 Week Health Challenge

Tripler Guide 2015
Tripler Guide 2015

CLICK HERE for Pharmacy Information and Online Refills


Department of Family Medicine

Home Family Medicine Service/Clinic Physical Examination Clinic Residency Program
Patient Information Newcomer Information Contact us  

Newcomer Information - General

(Below are questions that previous incoming interns had concerning their move to Ha-wai'i and the Graduate Medical Office response to these questions. Please review the following to see if your question has been answered before

Medical licensing information

If you need to know your license number but don't have it readily available, you may call the Medical Education Office for assistance. Ms. Amata Taifane is our primary point of contact at (808) 433-6982.

However, most, if not all states have on-line query and verification services.

For Hawai'i click here to do a query and verification.

Click here for a state-specific requirement for initial medical licensure. In many cases the links to the state licensing sites will also allow you to "connect" to that state's on-line license search page.

Forwarding mail information

I was wondering if you had a forwarding address at Tripler for official documents that may be sent from my school to your office. This is for copies of matriculation letters, diplomas, transcripts, etc.

Please have your school send any documents to the following address:

Tripler Army Medical Center
Medical Education Office (Gary Christal)
ATTN: MCHK-HE-ME (9th Floor, A-wing, Rm 9A 004)
1 Jarrett White Road
Honolulu, HI 96859-5000

A reminder about the forwarding address you may use until you get a perma-nent address:

Tripler Army Medical Center
General Delivery
ATTN: Enter your rank and name. e.g., CPT Mary Smith
1 Jarrett White Road
Honolulu, HI 96859-5000

Please do not send bulk packages containing your personal belongings, e.g., extra uniforms. If you need to do that then coordinate with your sponsor and see if s/he would be willing to store them for you. Or contact your transportation office to see if you have any options in that regard.

Miscellaneous information

Here is a handout from our legal office with advice about leases and other legal matters.

This may have already been answered somewhere in this voluminous e-mail, but are car rentals while waiting for your car to be shipped covered?

You are not reimbursed for car rental expenses while you are waiting for the car that you shipped. This is mentioned in the temporary lodging instructions that we sent out earlier.

Who do we turn our receipts in to for reimbursement for having to quarantine our animals?

You will be turning in your animal quarantine receipts to the Travel Office at Ft. Shafter Finance. You will be briefed about the specific procedures during in-processing. I believe that service members may be entitled up to $550 in reimbursement.

Who do we turn our lodging receipts in to for reimbursement after we arrive?

You will be briefed about the specific procedures during in-processing. The receipts must be turned in to the appropriate Defense Military Pay Office (Finance).

I'm not sure if you're the person to ask, but do interns and residents get an "expense account" each year from which they can purchase books or use for seminars?

Residents do not get an expense account. However, programs may provide some texts and other learning media and may sponsor resident attendance at training on and off island.

Regarding your message that you are not normally reimbursed for your rental car expenses. This doesn't make sense. I will be staying at the lodge at K-Bay in June- does the Army expect me to walk to Tripler? When I did my ADT I was in Waikiki and was reimbursed for my rental car, so I would think similar arrangements could be made while waiting for my own POV.

Because you will be at your permanent duty station versus being on a "temporary duty" elsewhere you are not entitled to or authorized reimbursement for a rental car. The rental car expense is essentially on you until your car arrives. Or you can stay closer and walk or take the bus. You may be eligible for and receive a dislocation allowance (DLA) that may help offset some of the rental car expense.

Regarding the questionnaire, if we return it via email, does it need to be signed by hand? In other words, do we need to complete it, print it, sign it, scan it, and then send it back?

No, the questionnaire does not need to be signed by hand and scanned if you return it via email.

About what time do residents start there day at Tripler?

It really depends what rotation you are on and whether morning conferences are scheduled. Most outpatient rotations start around 7:30 a.m. Residents may need to be here at 5:00 a.m. to ensure that they are adequately prepared to start the day on an inpatient rotation. The Emergency Room rotation usually starts at 7:00 a.m.

How have the interns in the past done it? I know some of the interns from this year's class had told me that they were scrambling around looking for a place to live, staying at the Tripler Lodge in the meantime.

Yes, that is correct. All military personnel who don't live on post pretty much have to scramble for a place to live unless they are able to arrange to "take over" a departing soldier's house.

Quick clarification of the BLS, PALS, and ACLS training. If I come with proof of certification, will I be completely free on the days scheduled for training (i.e. not have to report those days)?

You should be free on those days to take care of your remaining in-processing requirements and other personal or family matters. If you are not required to be registered in NRP or PALS, your respective program director does have the option of requiring you to attend department level training on those particular days.

What ribbons are we authorized to wear?

You are authorized: Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal, and the Army Service Ribbon.

Useful websites

Army Families in Hawai'i – tons of info put together by military school liaisons.

MWR Hawai'i -- includes child and youth services, child development center and family child care, recreation, lodging, entertainment, directories, relocation info, and state employment.

MilitaryHomefront Moving Homepage -- includes checklists, installation overviews, and planning calendars.
MilitaryOneSource --- a great source all around for military members and their families.

PCS travel entitlements – a great source for TLA, DLA, BAH, and COLA information.

Military Pay.

Hawai'i Pet Quarantine -- keep your receipts for any fees related to bringing your pet. The military will reimburse you for some expenses.

This page is maintained by the Department of Family Medicine, ATTN: MCHK-FM, Tripler Army Medical Center, 1 Jarrett White Road, Honolulu, Hawai'i 96859-5000. Phone: (808) 433-6174.