Making Appointments

Maps + Parking



Remote Provider Access Request

Requesting Medical Records

Referral Guidelines

About TAMC

Leaders and Organization

Media Contact


Staff Information

Training and Education

Hawaii Medical Commands

Regional Medical Commands

Contact Us

TAMC on Facebook TAMC Photos on Zenfolio
TAMC on Twitter TAMC Videos on Vimeo
Tripler Guide 2015
Tripler Guide 2015



Department of Family Medicine

Home Family Medicine Service/Clinic Physical Examination Clinic Residency Program Contact Us

Newcomer Information - Pet

(Below are questions that previous incoming interns had concerning their move to Hawai'i and the Graduate Medical Office response to these questions. Please review the following to see if your question has been answered before.)

I had some questions concerning the new $550 allowance for pet quarantine. Am I eligible to receive it? Is it a one-time pay out? One of my cats failed the rabies titer and will be delayed in his arrival in Hawaii. The other cat will be traveling around the same time my husband and I will.

You are eligible. Details regarding the entitlement are in Section U5805 of the Joint Federal Travel Regulation. It is a one-time payout normally done through electronic funds transfer. $550 is the maximum regardless of the number of pets. You will schedule an appointment with the travel clerk at the Defense Military Finance Office at Ft. Shafter after you arrive to complete the necessary paperwork. You will not be reimbursed for the transport of your pets to Hawaii.

Please check the State of Hawai'i Agriculture Web site for information on bringing your pets to Hawai'i.

I have a small parrot that is coming with me to Hawai'i, do you have any information about requirements I have to complete for him to accompany me?

My wife sent the following query to the State's Department of Agriculture yesterday outlining her understanding of the requirements:

Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 12:13 PM
Subject: Questions Regarding Importing a Parrot to Hawaii from the Mainland

I am assisting a physician relocate to Hawaii from the mainland. After reading your Web site, I am a little confused about the requirements for importing a parrot from the mainland to Hawai'i. I want to make sure everything is done correctly so the physician's parrot has a smooth entry. This is what I understand. Also, I have a couple questions in [brackets]:

2 Permits Necessary

(1) Import Permit (from the Plant Quarantine Branch); your Web site states it must be completed in advance. [How far in advance? Must he send this permit to you before the bird arrives, or carry it with him on the day the parrot arrives?]

(2) Poultry and Bird Import Permit--West Nile Virus Permit--(Livestock and Disease Control Branch) Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, stating the following:

-- parrot has been isolated for 7 days (within 36 hours of entry to Hawaii)
-- parrot has not received any live agent vaccinations within 60 days of entry to Hawaii
-- leg band number must be annotated on documentation
-- [After deplaning, will the bird be inspected at the airport, or transported to another location?]
-- [Must they arrive at a specific time (or can they arrive any time)?]
-- [Will the bird be kept at his home for the 30-day isolation period, or at the quarantine station (or certified veterinary clinic)?]

Thank you very much for your assistance.

This was the response from the Department of Agriculture:

From: []
Sent: Monday, March 27, 2006 6:54 PM
Subject: Pre-import requirements for pet birds entering Hawai'i


I think you are pretty much aware on the pre-import requirements for pet birds entering the State. On the certificate of veterinary inspection you missed "the bird is free from ectoparasite" statement. The import permit from Plant Quarantine can be hand carried by your friend. The Poultry and Bird Import Permit must be attached securely outside the crate/cage of the bird.

Upon arrival here in Honolulu, the bird will be delivered by the airline ramp agent straight to our office. If the airline allows the bird in cabin, inform your friend to surrender or turn in his pet bird to the airline personnel before deplaning. Your friend cannot bring his bird to our office for the inspection; this is against the State law.

The bird will be released from our office if it meets all the import requirements, and after inspection. It will be released on a 30-day provisional quarantine which will be done at your friend's home or premise.

The release hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. only, seven days a week.

Check the attachment for the complete pre-import requirements for pet birds entering the State. For further assistance call our office at (808) 837-8092 and ask for an inspector to help you.


Jose Pascual
Livestock Inspector



1. Import Permit from the Plant Quarantine Branch. Call (808) 832-0566.

2. Poultry and Bird Import Permit from the Livestock Disease Control Branch. Must be affixed to shipping crate. Issued only to accredited veterinarians. Call (808) 837-8092, 7 days a week, 8:00AM through 4:30PM Hawaii Standard Time or email request to

3. Health Certificate. Issued within 10 days of entry. Must include:

a. Description of bird(s).
b. Leg band or microchip numbers (except budgies, canaries, cockatiels, doves, finches, lovebirds).
c. Statement birds are free of external parasites and symptoms of transmiss-ible diseases or evidence of recent exposure to parasites or diseases.
d. Statement birds have not been vaccinated with a vaccine containing a live agent during the 60 day period before shipment.

4. 7-Day Isolation: Birds must be isolated in a mosquito-free/mosquito-proof en-closure under the supervision of the veterinarian issuing the health certificate. The isolation must be for a minimum of 7 days (168 hrs), and birds must enter the State within 36 hrs of completion of the isolation.

5. The bird(s) shall be released and shipped in a mosquito-proof container.




This page is maintained by the Department of Family Medicine, ATTN: MCHK-FM, Tripler Army Medical Center, 1 Jarrett White Road, Honolulu, Hawai'i 96859-5000. Phone: (808) 433-6174.