TRIPLER ARMY MEDICAL CENTER (TAMC)
HOW TO APPLY FOR A CLERKSHIP
Civilian Medical School Students
1. Review the TAMC clerkship descriptions (see “Clinical Clerkship Rotations Offered”) to determine eligibility to participate in the chosen clerkship: http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/residency/2-AVAILABLE-ROTATIONS/AVAILABLE-CLERKSHIP-ROTATIONS.HTML.
2. To preclude changes and cancellations: Discuss your choice of clerkship with the appropriate personnel at your school prior to applying for a TAMC clerkship as you may find you have conflicts with board exams, school requirements, etc.
3. Please note that civilian students may schedule a TAMC rotation six months prior to the start of the rotation; scheduling may never be done earlier than six months ahead of time. Rotations will be available to civilian students between October through April of each year. No rotations are scheduled during the month of December. Civilian students are limited to eight weeks of training at TAMC per academic year.
4. All civilian medical students (except UH medical students/residents) and military students not scheduled for active duty at the time of their scheduled rotations must contact the Clerkship Coordinator in the TAMC Medical Education Office via e-mail to determine eligibility prior to official application and to ensure that there is a valid affiliation agreement in effect between TAMC and the trainee’s school. Civilian students cannot train at TAMC unless there is an established affiliation agreement on file at TAMC that has been appropriately signed by officials at both institutions.
5. Appropriate administrative personnel at the University of Hawaii, John A. Burns School of Medicine and the Hawaii Integrated Residency Programs must send the TAMC Medical Education Office Clerkship Coordinator information on their trainees who will be training at TAMC at least one month prior to start of training. This can be accomplished via e-mail by sending a message to the TAMC Clerkship Coordinator at TAMCStudentClerk@amedd.army.mil.
6. All civilian medical students, with the exception of the University of Hawaii medical students and residents must complete the online application form entitled “Request for Approval of Clinical Clerkship Training” once they are notified they are eligible for training: http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/residency/3-CLERKSHIP-APPLICATION-INSTRUCTIONS/ONLINE-REQUEST-FOR-APPROVAL-OF-CLINICAL-CLERKSHIP-TRAINING.HTML.
a. Complete the form.
b. Print the form.
c. Sign, print your social security number, and date the bottom of the form.
d. Fax form to the TAMC Clerkship Coordinator at (808) 433-1559.
7. The Clerkship Coordinator will review the trainee’s request and communicate with the appropriate department for official approval of their training.
8. The Clerkship Coordinator will notify trainees via e-mail when approval or disapproval is received from the department.
9. Changes and Cancellations:
a. Last minute changes are discouraged. If a trainee needs to change a rotation, e-mail the TAMC Clerkship Coordinator immediately so that the coordinator can notify the many offices that are involved in student training.
b. For cancellations, e-mail the Clerkship Coordinator immediately so that the vacancy can be assigned to someone else: TAMCStudentClerk@amedd.army.mil.