Desmond T. Doss
Health Clinic, Hawaii
Clinic History & Background
The Desmond T. Doss Health Clinic has a proud history spanning 77 of the 93 years that Schofield Barracks has been in existence. Construction began in 1922 on the first permanent Station Hospital. Buildings 678, 680 and 681 were completed in 1922, but not occupied.
Construction was resumed in 1926 to complete the 500 bed-capacity Station Hospital.
Construction was completed in 1928, and the hospital became operational as the largest military medical facility on Oahu.
In 1939, additional capacity was added with construction of buildings 672 and 673. At the onset of war in the Pacific, the Station Hospital cared for patients from the December 7, 1941 attack on Oahu, and subsequent island invasions in the South Pacific.
Because of the Station Hospital's isolation from port facilities, by 1943 most combat casualties went to expanded hospital facilities in Honolulu. When Tripler General Hospital opened in 1944, the Station Hospital was reassigned as Dispensary #1, Schofield Barracks, and inpatient care was discontinued. Then, with the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, increased bed demand led to the reopening of a 100-bed convalescent ward and redesignation of the facility as Schofield Annex, Tripler Army Hospital, Ward 50. Inpatient services closed in 1952 and outpatient services continued. In 1954 Ward 50 was again reorganized with a 50-bed capacity, but this time under the control of the Post Commander.
In 1965, all inpatient beds closed and US Army Medical Services Activity, Hawaii, a separate command, was organized. Then in 1969, the USAMSA-H was subordinated to the Tripler Army Hospital Department of Clinics and re-designated again in 1972 as US Army Health Clinic, Schofield Barracks, the Clinic regained Command status. From 1975 to 1978 the Clinic was again integrated into the Tripler Army Hospital Department of Clinics, and in 1978 it was designated a separate command under Tripler Army Medical Center. This organization continued until 1985, when the Clinic was placed under the Tripler AMC Department of Primary Care and Community Medicine.
Most recently reorganized in 1993, the present organization as a free-standing semi-autonomous ambulatory care Military Treatment Facility has provided installation-level medical support services to the 25th ID and its leadership, to the US Army Garrison, Hawaii and other military sites in central Oahu, and supervision of the dispensary at Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA) on the island of Hawaii. As recently as 1998, it was the largest free-standing ambulatory care facility in the Department of Defense, but has since lost that distinction due to downsizing of other military hospitals to ambulatory care facilities.